Side Vents

The last job to complete before I can put the body back on the chassis, is to install the side vents. This is a simple job, but having never handled fibre glass and resin before it was a bit of a learning curve. First job was to complete the bodywork preparation. I did this using a mixture of mouse sander, metal files and good old fashioned sandpaper! I found that sandpaper with my fingers made the right shape for the corners. The intent was to make the edges looked like rolled aluminium as best i could. Gerry had finished the wheel arches to give the same effect so I had something to copy. It took sometime but eventually I was happy with the result on both sides.

Before finishing, rough cut edges

Before finishing, rough cut edges

Finished bodywork with vents held ready for fixing

Finished bodywork with vents held ready for fixing

I also needed to add some brackets to the vents in order to fix them. Initially I made aluminium brackets and riveted them to the vents. I did not like the sight of the rivets or the fact that once fixed in I could not remove – not that I expected to have too! Even so I replaced the rivets with Rivnuts M3 size, two for each bracket and two brackets per vent. These look much smarter and once the brackets are fixed I can remove the vents. If I decide to paint them for example, I may think back at this decision as a good one!

Once i had them fixed with tape I set about cutting stripes of fibre to the right size then mixing the resin. I bought a kit from Halfords, this is what was included;

Glass fibre kit

Glass fibre kit

The resin is a nice red colour so you can see where you have placed it! Handy.

First mix complete and going off!

First mix complete and going off!

It is a bit of a fiddle reaching in and doing it quite quickly before it hardens. I made up 10ml batches so that I had time. It can be a little runny, you can just see a run on the left of the above photo. I managed to clean that off before it went hard!

I was very pleased with the end result.

Complete and looking good!

Complete and looking good!

Final task was to paint over the red with the silver I had used, job done.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s